Swimming Australia admits failings in complaints procedures

To optimise for archiving, the original image and related documents associated with this article have been removed.

Swimming Australia has admitted failures when dealing with athlete complaints, but insists it is committed to being transparent as a panel is appointed to investigate allegations of sexual misconduct and mistreatment.

Two-time Olympic silver medallist Maddie Groves pulled out of the Olympic trials after saying the sport was full of “misogynistic perverts” and has previously alleged sexual misconduct, this has led for many to call for an independent review into the sport and Swimming Australia (SA). SA chief executive Alex Baumann said “We acknowledge the complaints process should be easily accessible and we have committed to ensuring all our members are aware of the avenues to access this process” as he accepted that athletes had not effectively been made aware of the channels to make a complaint.

The Olympic trials began on Saturday in Adelaide and have been overshadowed by the issue with former chief executive Leigh Russell saying on Twitter “It is time to listen and learn rather than continue to speak and spin the wheels. The only people who don’t believe there’s a problem are those benefiting from the system as it is. Those in charge of sport (men) have long focused on fixing women to fit. It is indeed a broken boys club and there will be no genuine cultural integrity in sport until the system is fixed, not women.”

The Australian Human Rights Commission previously conducted a review into Australian gymnastics, finding a culture of abuse and mistreatment, and many have called for SA to request a similar review be undertaken. Former elite swimmer Dr Jenny McMahon said “They also need to initiate – like gymnastics – the Human Rights Commission, just so they can look at past and present practices to inform future practices.”

You can read the SA media release here

You may also like

View All

Company behind Enhanced Games loses nearly $62 million

The company behind the Enhanced Games has reportedly lost nearly $62 million after its main event debuted in May

Read More

Former ADE player sues AFL and Fox Sports after he was indecently exposed on live television

Former Adelaide Crows player, Ricky Henderson, is suing the Australian Football League and Fox Sports for over $1.2 million after he was indecently exposed on live television in 2013

Read More

Premier League to allow the broadcast of on-field conversations between players and referees and the publication of full judgements made by its panel and of explanations direct from officials

As part of a trial, the Premier League will allow the broadcast of on-field conversations between players and referees. It will also publish the full judgements made by its Key Match Incidents panel, as well as explanations provided direct from the officials themselves

Read More